Thursday, June 6, 2013
Saturday, January 5, 2013
It's been a long time since I posted on here, things have changed in my life and I may get to them. But for now I'm just going to try to get back into blogging. I am working on a new project that will have me writing a lot more and I'm a little rusty so I figured I'd write out a few blogs until I feel like I'm ready for the project. (Project is still in early development, so no info yet but let's just say it has a ton of potential)
I thought since it's the start of 2013 and I didn't post anything about 2012 I'd do a top 10 things I did in 2012 post, cover my last year and let everyone know what's been going on in my world. So without more rambling, here's my top 10 things of 2012.
2) Dinner at E by Jose Andres: What better way to celebrate a Weight Loss Challenge than by eating 25 courses of food? This is no ordinary meal, to start you have to set up reservations 90 days out (i think it's 120 days now). The place seats 8 people so it's pretty hard to get a seat. The meal is probably one of the best ones I've ever had. Insanely lavish ingredients, cooked using some of the craziest techniques, and served with a meticulous attention to detail. Yes the meal did cost a large chunk of change, but it was worth every penny. Photos of the meal can be seen HERE
3) Volunteered: I am a volunteer docent at the Neon Museum and Boneyard, it is a pretty kick ass place downtown filled with a lot of Vegas history. Starting next week I will be giving tours (which is both exciting and terrifying at the same time). I have been looking for somewhere to give back to this community I love so much and the Neon Museum is a great place to do it. Some photos from the museum can be seen HERE
4) Copperfield Museum: I got to tour the Copperfield Warehouse and museum. I'm not allowed to talk much about it since he likes to keep everything a mystery, but honestly it was a once in a lifetime experience that I totally dumb lucked my way into (like most things in my life). I have always been a huge fan of magic and getting to see pieces and props from not only Copperfield's Shows, but also from many of the greats was an experience I'll never forget.
5) San Francisco: I took a summer trip to San Fran, after the Twins game during my annual trek back to Minnesota was rained out I had to keep my 15 year string of seeing the twins play at least once a season intact. I found out they were in Oakland, and headed that way. I got to eat Top Chef Masters Champion Chris Constantino's place, eat sourdough, tour the Golden Gate Bridge, and actually watched the twins win. If your team ever plays the A's I highly recommend the trek, while the O.co Park isn't that nice, the fact you can get 4th row behind the visiting team dug out seats for $45 walk up on the day of the game makes it an amazing deal. Photos from my trip to the Bay Area can be seen HERE
6) LA: I also took a trip to Los Angles for my birthday. The plan was to hit up the Price Is Right and Conan O'Brien, sadly the line for TPIR was cut off three people before me. However the rest of the trip was great. I got to see BOB preform in the back lot at Jimmy Kimmel's show, ate at several amazing places including a plethora of food trucks, saw Conan tape a show, ate more yummy food, went to the pier, saw the Hollywood Blvd, and did I mention good food? Photos from LA can be found HERE
7) Running Rebels: I bought a mini ticket plan for the UNLV Runnin' Rebels this season. I have always loved college basketball and honestly there isn't really much more for a "local" sports team here. The Wranglers are fun, but Hockey in the desert is a bit of a stretch. The UNLV Rebels have been getting a lot of national attention this season (including a top 25 rating) so I was pretty gung ho to check them out. Granted even though they did lose the first game I attended this season, it's been fun attending the games.
8) Cigars: I got back into cigar smoking. I have smoked cigars for years, usually just on special occasions, however recently my roommate and I have been getting into cigars a little more. We have been converting our porch into a cigar lounge (Creeper's Cigar Porch), and I've been doing my best to keep my humidor stocked with decent sticks. It's one of my few vices I have left, and it's one I'm actually enjoying.
9) Positive Money NFL Season: I didn't make heaps and heaps of money, but I actually had a winning season this year betting the NFL, this may not seem like much to many of you, but making money always makes a NFL season more memorable (plus I usually suck out loud at sports betting).
10) Sobriety: December 30th 2012 marked 18 months sober for me. It's been a bit of a struggle, but I can honestly say I'm a much better person because of it.
Thursday, October 27, 2011
My name is Chris and I suck at betting Baseball. While I have been doing well at football this season (knock on wood), I have been getting killed in Baseball. How bad is you ask, well first off I'm a Twins fan, so that there proves how bad this year has been, but let's take a look at my World Series Bets Shall We?
Game One I Bet The Texas Rangers...They Lost 2-3
Game Two I Bet The STL Cardinals...They Lost 2-1
Games 3 and 4 I didn't Bet
Game 5 I Bet The STL Cardinals...They Lost 4-2
And in Game 6 I Bet The Texas Rangers....They Lost 10-9 in the 11th Inning
That is 0-4 this World Series Alone.
Now how exactly does this benefit you? Well you see, I'm putting my Cooling Powers on the Auction Block. The best bid (in my mind) gets to harness the Legendary Minton Cooler Powers.
So what exactly does this Auction Include??? It's Really Quite Simple. You place a bid either on my Face Book or Twitter page, if I select your Bid I will place a $20 wager on the other team, there by practically guaranteeing your team the win in Game Seven Of The World Series.
If you're a Cards fan, I'll bet the Rangers, if the winning bid is from a Rangers Fan, I'll bet the Cards...it's that simple.
So what am I looking for in a Bid? Something Cool, my only requirements are that it's not cash, it's not booze, and that it's something fun. That's it the most unique bid wins my LEGENDARY COOLER POWERS!
The Auction Block is Open until I go to lunch Tomorrow (around 3:30) I will announce the winner, post a pic of the Ticket, and work my cooler magic.
Now in the rare chance that my powers fail, your bid will not be made in Jest, If I select your Bid and I somehow win my bet, I will but you a drink and/or a burger from Fukuburger on your next Visit to Vegas.
Bid Now of Forever wish you had!!!
Friday, August 12, 2011
This list has been a living breathing document for almost 3 years now, if I do something fun it gets added to the list, if something closes or changes, it gets removed.
Since I've seen a ton of what do to posts on FB, Twitter, Google+, and many other places here's my list...Enjoy
Las Vegas To Do List- By Chris Mitzula Minton-
Bold Text is what do do, Italic Text is my thoughts on it
Deep Fried Twinkie at Mermaids Downtown goodness in one bite
Big shot on top of the strat! I'm not much of a ride game and this is a total blast
Vue bar at the Fitz Cheap drinks and the best view of the Fremont Street Experience
The Conservatory at the Bellagio Lots of flowers in a seasonal design
Fountain show from the Chateau Beer Garden at Paris
Get a $1 chip from all of the casinos you play at cheap souvenirs
Gamblers General Store on sahara and LVB, biggest Gift Shop on Earth
Hoover Dam Easy day trip, pretty cool to see, new bridge is nice, take the Dam Tour
Any hotel spa Everyone needs a little pampering
Play a new table game you haven't played yet The Dealers will be happy to teach you
Drink a giant frozen drink They're everywhere bonus points if it's guitar shaped
Try to drink drink in every casino on the strip Who Doesn't love a challenge
Gondolas at the V Where else but Venice are you going to ride a Gondola
Dueling Piano bar in Harrah's There are several in town, but the twins are the best
Eat at a Food Truck These are no longer your daddy's roach coaches
Red Square at Mandalay it's a bar build around Vodka
Atomic Testing Museum Interesting place, and you can learn something
Boulevard Pool at the Cosmopolitan
Penn & Teller One of my favorite shows in Vegas
Hit Up Strip Club Help a struggling UNLV coed pay for her education
Enjoy a Micro Brew Main Street Station, Chicago Brewing, Ellis Island are a few of my faves
Oh My Goddard Gallercy at Planet Hollywood some amazing art
Sin City Comedy Burlesque and Standup together at the V theater in PH Miracle Mile Shops
Mesa Grill Blue Corn Panakes with BBQ Duck FTW!
Ellis Island steak special Steak, Potato, Salad, and A Beer for under $8
$3 craps at Casino Royale Cheapest Craps on the Strip
$5 Pai Gow at The Fitz
Rock Bar In front of the IP
Golf at any of the amazing Courses
Chicken and Waffles at Hash House or anything on their menu
$9.99 AYCE Prime Rib at Mr. Lucky’s 24/7 in the Hard Rock
The Pub at The Monte Carlo
First Food and Bar at the Venetian
Ride the Bull at Stoney's Country Bar, Gilley's, or PBR Rock Bar
Drink one of each beer at Yardhouse 100+ on Tap
AYCE sushi there are a ton of great sushi places in the desert
Texas De Brasil An Orgy of Meat to not be missed
Sigma Derby at MGM Grand the most fun you can have for a quarter
RHUMBAR at the Mirage
Drinks at the Chandelier Bar at Cosmopolitan
$1.50 Beers and $0.05 video Black Jack at Stage Door behind Bill's
bacon martini or “ass juice” at Double Down Saloon
Drinks and Tapas at Firefly on Paradise
Twinkie or Smore’s Milkshakes at BLT Burger
Fremont Street Zipline Wheeeeeeee
AYCE Tapas at Johnny Smalls
Insert Coins arcade, bar, dance club, amazing
Hidden Pizza Place in the Cosmo, best slice in town
Absinthe Hands Down the Best Show on the Strip
Tuesday, July 26, 2011
The iYaz Went Down To Petaluma
The iYaz went down to Petaluma and he was looking for a soul to steal.
He was in a bind he was way behind and he was willing to make a deal.
When he came across a JuRY hosting a show and it was hot, and iYaz jumped up on a desk chair and said “Boy let me tell you what.”
“I guess you didn’t know it but I’m a podcast host too, and if you care to take a dare, I’ll make a bet with with you. Now you host a pretty good podcast boy but give the iYaz his due, I bet a twitbrick of Gold against your soul that says I’m better than you.”
The Boy Said, “My name’s Jury and it might be a sin, but I’ll take your bet and you’re gonna regret cuz I’m the best there’s ever been.”
Jury fire up your cam and host your podcast hard, because Hell’s broke loose in Petaluma and iYaz deals the cards. And if you win you get this shiny Twitbrick made of gold, but if you lose iYaz Gets Your Soul
iYaz fired up his cam and he said, “I’ll start this show” And fire Blew from the Brick House as live he started to go. He talked tech with a few host, and the chatroom was in bliss, then he went on podcasting and it sounded something like this.
When iYaz finished JuRY said, “well you’re pretty good old son, but sit down in that chair right there let me show you how it’s done”
iYaz bowed his head, because he knew that he’d been beat. And he laid that golden TwitBrick on the ground at JuRY’s Feet. JuRY said, “iYaz just come on back if you ever wanna try again I done told you once you son of a bitch I’m the best I’ve even been!”
And he played Fire In the Brick House Run Boy’s Run
iYaz in the house of the JuRY one
Shwood on the webcam Go Bro Go
Jury Does your Beard Bite…no Bro No
Thursday, May 5, 2011
This post has been on the back burner for a while but it's finally getting written, not because I've been suffering from writers block, it's mainly from the fact that I'm a lazy bastard. I have realized that I have only 4 more days to kill my 30 for 30 list, and I have yet to blog about several of the things I've recently done.
One item on the list was #18 Attend A Las Vegas Wranglers Hockey Game, this one started off as attending a UNLV BB game, but sadly my schedule didn't allow for that to happen (one of the drawbacks to working in a sportsbook). So I had to modify it to attend a Hockey Game.
I grew up in MN, but honestly didn't even know Hockey existed until middle school. One of the first times I went ice skating my mother broke her ankle in 2 places and I didn't really want to be on the ice again. It wasn't until years later that I discovered how insane watching live hockey is. I was too old to really learn the game as a player, but I became a dedicated fan of my High School Team. I then moved to several non-hockey communities (plus the stars leaving MN) so hockey kind of took a back burner in my life, but that all changed when I moved to Vegas.
The Las Vegas Wranglers are a ECHL hockey team, these guys will probably never go pro, most of them have side jobs during the off season to make ends meet, but I can tell you from first hand experience, they play the game with a passion unlike many others. If you go to an ECHL game you might not see the most technically superb hockey, but you will see some fights, some goals, and you will have fun.
I went with a few friends to a home playoff game a few weeks ago. I was quite shocked to see that there was probably no more than 1,000 fans in attendance (they announced a number higher but I don't think that was accurate), but the sparse crowd did let us score some amazing seats. The game was against The Idaho Steel Heads, and while it was a Triple OT Thriller, sadly the Wranglers lost. While we may not have won, I can honestly say it was a fun time, and I will be checking out more games next year.
Tuesday, April 19, 2011
Sorry it's been a while, I am shifting to a new schedule at work, and things have been a little hectic in my world. I have a bunch of posts to get through, and a bunch of things to knock off the 30 for 30 list, however I need to start with some other excitement.
In Vegas the Food Truck Scene is finally starting to blow up, it's no where near the level of LA and their scene, but in the last year over a dozen trucks have sprung up serving everything from burgers to Gourmet Desserts and everything in between.
Every 2nd Saturday the El Cortez hosts Vegas StrEATS a food truck fest that draws about 6-8 trucks, it's a nice little setup (which sadly is getting too crowded for it's own good), but it served as the soft launch for one of my new favorite trucks HAULIN BALLS. They serve up homemade meatballs and other deliciousness with a heavy helping of sarcasm and innuendo (which makes every meal that much better). I also tried SLOPPI JO's newest menu item, Deep Fried Mac and Cheese with her world famous pulled pork inside of it, let's just say amazing is an understatement.
Haulin' Balls Blue Balls Special (Pulled Pork and Slaw)
Haulin Balls GodFather Meatball Sandwich (Signature Menu Item)
Sloppi Jo's Fried Mac N Cheese
This was the 3rd of the Street Food Throwdowns, where several food trucks compete in a set challenge, the winner usually gets some sort of trophy, but let's be honest, the people who are eating are the real winners!
This throwdown included Sloppi Jos, LuLu's On the Move, Top Notch BBQ, and Tasty Bunz.
They all offered some tasty items, but the standouts to me were LuLu's Pigs in a Blanket (A hotdog stuffed pretzel), and Sloppi Jo's Bacon Cupcake(yep you read that right Bacon Cupcake). All 4 trucks brought their A game but a the end o f the night it was Jolene and her crew at Sloppi Jo's who won the Maple Bacon Cake/Trophy.
I am uploading more food truck photos to my facebook, there is an album for Food Truck Photos check it out.
I also attended 4Square Day, a gathering of over 16 trucks, it was an amazing time, I forgot to take photos, but did get a chance to finally try BBQBOY and ISLAND BREEZE, both were amazing and offered some great wears. I look forward to eating at them again, and trying some of the new trucks that pop up as time goes bye.
And with that I'll end this Blog Post, there will be another coming shortly going over the multiple things I've scratched of the 30 for 30 list.
Until Next Time